Project 1: Compositing Light and Shadow

March 23, 2019

glueLD.png
gluestickref.PNG

Over spring break, I started modeling my object for this project, which is an Elmer's glue stick. Overall, the model resembles the reference although the bottom part needs more work and I will probably go back to it later on to make it more accurate.

Object WIP

Object reference

April 3, 2019

Clean Plate
Clean Plate

Sphere in shadow
Sphere in shadow

Perspective Reference
Perspective Reference

Clean Plate
Clean Plate

These are the reference photos for the background and the background plate for the project. The was overcast when I took the photos and that caused the light to change a little in from photo to photo. To be able to match the final result to the sphere reference photo I will have to color correct it. 

April 4, 2019

hdr.PNG
HDR Exposures
HDR Exposures

HDR Exposures
HDR Exposures

HDR Exposures
HDR Exposures

HDR Exposures
HDR Exposures

The next day in class I merged the different exposures of the chrome sphere photos into the HDR used for fill light. I also matched the camera and key light using the photo with the cube for perspective reference. The results are in the photos below.

HDR

Cube reference
Cube reference

Camera match
Camera match

Cube reference
Cube reference

April 5, 2019

Sphere reference
Sphere reference

Sphere composite WIP
Sphere composite WIP

Beauty layer
Beauty layer

Sphere reference
Sphere reference

After Wednesday's class and over the weekend I went back to my model and redid the bottom part and adjusted the shader to match better the material. I also worked on the shadow GOBO, which was difficult as the dark rocks on the ground make it more difficult to separate the light and shadow areas into black and white.  

Shadow GOBO

Shadow GOBO

Final object version
Final object version

Label texture map
Label texture map

Final object version
Final object version

April 8, 2019

Over the weekend, I started to try to integrate the object into the background. However, to do so effectively I had to first match the background clean plate to the background in the sphere photo for accuracy. Color correcting the clean plate was difficult for the same reason as making the GOBO. The dark rocks in the background make it difficult to correct based on shadows, midtones and highlights. The solution that proved successful was using the same GOBO I made for the shadow projection as a mask for my color corrections. This idea was suggested by Sarah Van Alstyne.

April 9, 2019

Clean plate color corrected
Clean plate color corrected

Clean plate original
Clean plate original

Clean plate color corrected
Clean plate color corrected

Object composite WIP
Object composite WIP

glue_process.0016
glue_process.0016

Object composite WIP
Object composite WIP

Object composite WIP
Object composite WIP

glue_proj.png

Object final version composite

wallin_cube.png

Sphere reference

nukecolorcorrect.PNG

Plate color correction node graph

sphere_proj.png

Sphere final version composite

Between last update and this one, I focused on the compositing side of the project more. I made color correction changes to different AOV layers to match the sphere reference. I also spent some time making sure the projected shadow was actually affecting the specular component in the object, which proved to need more color corrections than other AOVS to actually create an effect on the specularity. Although I'm happy with the final results I do believe there is still some things that can be improved and would like to go back to it later, like spending more time on the subsurface element of the shader.

nukegraph.PNG

Compositing node graph

Shadow layer
Shadow layer

Shadow projection layer
Shadow projection layer

Beauty layer
Beauty layer

Shadow layer
Shadow layer

lightsettings.PNG
Object occlusion layer
Object occlusion layer

Beauty layer
Beauty layer

Shadow reflection layer
Shadow reflection layer

Object occlusion layer
Object occlusion layer

Light settings