Project 2: Compositing Reflection, Refraction and Translucency
April 13, 2019
On Saturday, we shoot the footage for the second project. Unlike the first one, this one requires some movement in the background or camera tracking. I decided to have a fountain in the background as the source of movement for the this project. After getting all the footage from the camera, I started matching the camera and perspective in maya and got it to match quite easily in comparison with the one in the first project.
April 16, 2019
After getting the perspective to match in maya, I started to match the gray sphere with the one in the reference I took. I also started working on the rose quartz shader I chose for this project. The shader has both some transmission and subsurface, along with several layers of noise to create some complexity.
Rose quartz ver. 1
April 20, 2019
Rose quartz ver. 2
Current nuke node graph
During the week, we learned how use the mix shader to get a better result with the rock shader we are trying to do. The image in this update shows what I have done until today with what learned about the mix shader. I'm still not happy with how the line look so I will keep working more on it. I also added a screenshot of how the nuke graph is looking so far. Right now, it only has the basic nodes to create a simple composite with the main render layers.
April 23, 2019
I did some adjustments to the shader as my main priority is to get the shader looking as close to my reference as possible. However, I think I still have a long way to get there.
Rose quartz ver. 3
Rose quartz reference
April 26, 2019
This update of the shader is of how it was before Friday's last class before submission. Rose quarts is a very complex material. It has both transparency and translucency and a great among of layers that are hard to replicate using only textures plastered on the surface of the mesh. Today during class, I got some ideas on achieve that complexity and I will be trying them over the weekend.
Rose quartz ver. 4
April 28, 2019
During this weekend is where I did most of this project's progress. In previous updates, I had been having a hard time with the shader, but Friday's class really helped to make a difference with the shader. I ended up using two different shaders: one with transparency and one with subsurface. Instead of using the mix shader, I created render layes on maya that will act as masks in nuke to mix both shader together to form one. The nuke graph ended up getting very busy because of that but the result is worth it and way more accurate than past versions of the shader. I also added a ground displacement to the shadow matte shader to integrate the object better.
For the movement component of the project, I added some camera movement by tracking the subtle movement of a simple handheld video. The bunny is also animated to look like is floating instead of being static to show how the shader reacts in the environment.
Render layers contact sheet
Final nuke node graph
Final rose quartz version
Rose quartz reference