Search
  • Diana Castellvi

Week 9: final adjustments

Updated: Mar 24

This week was the last, which meant addressing feedback and making final adjustments. However, I feel like my team made a lot of progress in the last week. We had a new version of the sparks and the portal, which made a big difference in shot 0, 2 and 3.


Shot 0

Following the feedback we got last week, Yanni (in charge of the lightning and sparks) and I worked on getting more variation in color for both the lightning and sparks. Thanks to the new renders Yanni made, I was able to add more magenta to the lightning in the parts that touch the car. As for the sparks, Yanni made a completely new version with a more accurate animation and then also made three different versions of it with different colors. The different color versions are blue-yellow, blue and orange-yellow. I tried to make the sparks look more explosive following Kyle's and Todd's feedback. As a final adjustment, I also color corrected the car to pop up more in the dark environment.

We decided to go with the orange-yellow sparks as we liked the contrast against the purple-magenta of the lightning it provided.

Shot 0 Final Comp

Shot 2 and 3

For shot 2 and 3, most of the work was focused on the portal FX. I tried to match the color of the emission to the color of the lightning to create more connection between the CG shots and the integration shots. The exponential glow node in nuke also had a big part in the final look of the portal and to achieve the feeling of it coming to life and being full of charged energy. I also added a flare to the portal and tried to create a subtle flash of light when it opens. The idea of the flare came from the portal shot in Thor: Ragnarok in which the villain Hela appears for the first time.


Video link: https://youtu.be/ggISrFwe3KE?t=50


Another change in both shot 2 and 3 is the car. As I mentioned in my last blog post, I have been using the AOVs of the car to create a more accurate representation. I have been using reference of a real car in our live action environment and trying to match it. Compared to last week's update, this time the car is matching perfectly thanks to the use of cryptomatte to control better the different shaders and parts of the car.




Shot 2 and 3 Final Comp


Final Result

Final thoughts

Overall, I'm happy with the final result given the amount of time we had to produce it. There is definitely some aspects I would improve if I had more time to work on it, but I think that the result is good. This project and the mentorship have taught me a lot and I have learned a lot from it. It was a great experience and I'm extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to take part in it. I would like to thank our mentors from the Mill for their time and all the great feedback and advice.

3 views

Recent Posts

See All

Week 8: comp refinement and leaves

For this week, I addressed the feedback I got last week from our mentors at the Mill. This included fixing the glow of the headlights and the brightness of the lightning in shot 0, adding defocus in s

linkedIn.png
vimeo.png

© 2019 Diana Castellvi. All rights reserved.